Projects often incur unnecessary costs because deliveries aren’t planned or coordinated.
These costs are as a result of:
1. trucks standing waiting to be offloaded because:
a. suitable offloading equipment is unavailable
b. the offloading area isn’t ready
c. there isn’t suitable access to the offloading area
d. the documentation, including risk assessments or lifting studies aren’t available
e. personnel required to offload are not available
2. materials being offloaded in the incorrect place requiring double handling to move them to the correct area
3. trucks are turned back empty because:
a. they are the wrong size or type of truck
b. the item isn’t ready
4. the delivery trucks are too big, or awkward, to access the site
5. trucks going to the incorrect delivery or collection address
6. the materials not arriving in the correct order, with the materials required first arriving last
7. materials arriving late
8. materials arriving too early resulting in them being double handled
(an extract from 'Building a Successful Construction Company: The Practical Guide')
construction management construction project management
Copyright 2016 - The attached articles cannot be reproduced for commercial purposes without the consent of the author.
The opinions expressed in the attached articles are those of the writer. It should be noted that projects are varied and different laws and restrictions apply which depend on the location of the contractor and the project. It's important that the reader uses the supplied information taking cognisance of their particular circumstances. The writer assumes no responsibility or liability for any loss of any kind arising from the reader using the information or advice contained herein.
"I have what I consider some of the best books on construction management."
Books are available from:
Other retail stores
Available in paperback or on Kindle
"28 YEARS OF CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE, DEVELOPING SUCCESSFUL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGERS AND BUILDING SUCCESSFUL CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES"