"It’s important to plan the project thoroughly before starting work"
It’s important to plan the construction project thoroughly before starting work, so the more time available to do this the better. The planning includes:
1. thinking through the construction methodology and ensuring the methods selected will be the most efficient and economical (How To Select The Appropriate Construction Method To Increase Safety And Efficiency)
2. preparing the project construction schedule (the construction project schedule or programme (program))
3. taking out adequate insurance
4. deciding what construction work will be self-performed and what will be subcontracted (choosing a subcontractor)
5. ensuring the required construction resources are available and procured (What you should consider when staffing your construction project. )
6. ordering long-lead items required for the construction project
7. ordering construction materials which will be required to start the project (Ordering the correct quantity of construction materials)
8. sourcing construction equipment (Become Great at Hiring Equipment for Your Construction Project)
9. arranging the necessary permits
10. preparing and submitting the required paperwork to the client which may include:
a. quality plans
b. safety plans
c. environmental plans
d. traffic management plans
e. method statements
f. job hazard assessments
"Time spent on planning is time well spent."
Proper and thorough planning will pay dividends and will save costs and make the management of the project easier. Time spent on planning is time well spent.
#constructionmanagement #constructionprojectmanagement #planningprojects
Paul Netscher has written several easy to read books for owners, contractors, construction managers, construction supervisors and foremen. They cover all aspects of construction management and are filled with tips and insights.
Visit to read more.
The books are available in paper and ebook from most online stores including Amazon.
© 2022 This article is not to be reproduced for commercial purposes without written permission from the author.
construction management construction project management
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Copyright 2016 - The attached articles cannot be reproduced for commercial purposes without the consent of the author.
The opinions expressed in the attached articles are those of the writer. It should be noted that projects are varied and different laws and restrictions apply which depend on the location of the contractor and the project. It's important that the reader uses the supplied information taking cognisance of their particular circumstances. The writer assumes no responsibility or liability for any loss of any kind arising from the reader using the information or advice contained herein.
"I have what I consider some of the best books on construction management."
Books are available from:
Other retail stores
Available in paperback or on Kindle
"28 YEARS OF CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE, DEVELOPING SUCCESSFUL CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGERS AND BUILDING SUCCESSFUL CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES"